If you read this post last week on how to get shit done while working from home, then you'll know that I think having an office/working space that really speaks to you is an important part of being productive.
Because it motivates you. Working from a space that is filled with the things you love and the things you need to efficiently get things done will draw you in and MAKE you want to work. When I'm editing pictures, I can do that from just about anywhere. Couch, coffee shop, moving vehicle, doesn't matter. I grab my laptop, get comfortable, get in the zone, and then I can edit for hours and hours on end. When it comes to office tasks like researching, planning, writing, etc., I prefer sitting at a desk. With the new year just around the corner, I'm thinking through what I can do to help with my productivity whenever I work from home, whether that's for my job, for my photography, or for this blog. In 2015, let's decide that if we're going to work hours and hours on end, we're going to do it from a place that positively reflects us, encourages us to reach and surpass our goals, and motivates us to get down to business!
Office space inspiration:
- For starters: Coffee. Bar. Cart.
- Decide between dark and moody, light and airy, or even a combination of the two and then start bringing pieces in that match what vibe you're going for.
- Make sure that your desk chair is comfortable! If you're going to spend hours working at your desk, get a chair that supports your back and doesn't make your butt sore. That's important, people! The southern girl in me is showing because I'm obsessed with these monogrammed office chairs in the Southern Weddings office.
- Do you work in a home office with a few other coworkers? Maybe a small office space? Bring your brand to life by customizing a wall in your office space. It'll inspire you and be a conversation starter if you ever meet clients there. They'll always remember your accent wall!
- If you have a space where you have client meetings or workshops, be sure to have beautiful, yet comfortable seating that matches your office/brand vibe.
- Get organized! Try your hand at styling by mixing decor with office items and arranging them on open shelves.
- It's all in the details! Make your office space a direct reflection of YOU. Mackenzie has a great line of products in her shop called Design Darling that's filled with beautiful things for your desk and office space.
- Make sure your desk space is right for your needs. Do you tend to spread all your things out? I like to keep out my planner, post-it notes, memos, etc. out where I can see them. IKEA is a great place to start because their furniture has a clean look and is inexpensive. I also really dig this modern DIY desk. Don't have space for a large desk? Put shelves on your wall for storage!
- Don't forget that it's an office space. Keep office supplies nearby to make sure you can jot down reminders, schedule appointments, and make lists of what needs to get done.
- Use the wall around your desk space to hang up photos or quotes that inspire you. You can buy art prints, print out quotes, or even hand write/letter them. Create something that really speaks to you and inspires you. And if a giant poster of Beyoncé is what motivates you, then you better hunt down some thumbtacks and stick that on your wall ASAP.